Wednesday 30 June 2010

Frugal Food Prices

I love looking through the bargain shelf at our local supermarket. There is always something reduced in there, sometimes lots of the same product. Not always greatly reduced but if you were going to buy that product at full price anyway it is a saving off the bill or if you can replace a more expensive meal with it then it is a saving too. Sometimes you can get silly prices, I have had a few of these lately. One thing I regularly find reduced is bread even if its only 10p off per loaf it still helps. I have started to take note of the cheapest price I have got it for. My cheapest price for a loaf of bread is just 3p!! I just couldn't believe it! For milk my cheapest price was just 11p per pint and it was local too! That's two ticks in the box, frugal and local.

A few weeks ago on May Bank Holiday it was a sunny day so we suddenly decided to go out for a family picnic. As we weren't prepared in advance and it takes a while to pack lunch for a large family we decided to pop into the nearest supermarket on the way. I picked up the things I wanted for the picnic but couldn't resist peeking in the bargain shelf just in case...There were loads of boxes of Mr Kipling Jammy Sponge Finger Cakes for just 10p! There were 6 in a box which works out less than 2p each so I picked up a few boxes. While I was at the till unloading my trolley onto the conveyor my brain was ticking away as to what I could use these cakes for if I bought some more? Then I got it, trifle sponges!! I quickly grabbed a box, checked to see if they could be frozen, they could - so I asked the assistant if I could go get some more and came back with an armful. We had never tried these particular cakes before but have always liked Mr Kipling cakes before and you couldn't go far wrong for 10p a box. Later we tried them in trifle, they were gorgeous - much nicer than the usual sponges which are much more expensive and actually can be a little dry. The jam made the difference, it was sweeter too.

Since then I have bought packs of 6 pitta bread for 6p just 1p each. Custard doughnuts in a pack of 5 for 17p which is roughly 3p each and chocolate chip brioche rolls which should cost £1 for 5 but I got them for 25p just 5p each. All yummy bargains especially as they replaced the cake we would have eaten anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment