Friday 20 August 2010

Baking & Tick Tock Timer

My brain has really connected it now, if the electric oven is on I feel that a cake should be baking at the same time to share the cooking fuel. I put on the meat for dinner and immediately thought 'cake', it is a strange feeling but real. So out came my mixing bowl, recipe book and ingredients even though I hadn't even considered making a cake before I started cooking the meal.

I made my cake, then thought I would make a second one to be even more frugal! The first cake was a fruit one containing marmalade and baked in a round cake tin while the second one was also fruity but cooked in a large oblong shaped tray tin. As the ingredients were similar I didn't even need to wash the mixing bowl inbetween and warned the children that they couldn't lick the spoons etc until I had made the second cake! They waited patiently, they definately love the tasting bit best.

My first cake took the longest to cook as it was in a deep cake tin and I was concerned that I would forget about it in the oven, not that I have ever done this before... actually I have burnt cakes in the past. As I had left the kitchen and was now on my computer I decided to use an online timer that had been recommended to me the other day. The Tick Tock Timer was set for 15 minutes then I just forgot about it and browsed while I waited for it to go off. The next thing I knew there was a loud 'dong, dong, dong'. The children and I thought it was funny andI got up and saved my cake. If you would like to use Tick Tock Timer it is a free tool and can be found at http://ticktocktimer.com/

My Husband got served a piece of hot cake with his coffee and declared it yummy. You can't beat home baking as it is satisfying to make, delicous to eat and you know exactly what is in it. Much cheaper than the bakery and better quality than the pre-packaged variety, so if you compare it by quality it is also good value for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment