Monday 9 August 2010

July Accounts for Food = Healthy

Now that August is here I decided to sit down with my July accounts and worked out how much we had spent on food during the month. I separated alcohol from these accounts as it isn't food, isn't an essential and is only consumed by my Husband and I on date nights. The outcome after adding up all these figures was that we had saved £110 this month compared to what we spent during the past six months! This gives us the figure of £1.64 per person per day, instead of £2 which it was before. I found this result very encouraging and want to keep going with this frugal experiment!

Admittedly we have been living out of the pantry and freezer a bit more but still had to purchase fresh items such as fruit, salad items, fruit, bread and milk which actually are a huge chunk of our grocery bill. Other things I have been doing to help are to eat less myself which also works towards my weight loss challenge and cutting down meat and fish portion sizes for the whole family. Our family like many other westerners tend to overeat on meat and fish, when it is healthier to fill up on vegetables instead, and I am now trying to introduce better eating habits for the good of us all. Also I am trying to buy my British meat when it is on special offer. If you shop around there are many local meaty bargains to be found.

Already I have receipts piling up waiting for the August food total, I am excited about adding it all up and am hoping that the result will be at least as good as this month's savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment