Friday 2 July 2010

Red Retro English Phone Box


These retro red phone boxes were everywhere around England when I was a child but they are becoming a rare sight now. First many were removed and replaced with clear plastic ones but due to the huge popularity of mobile phones many of them have been totally removed now. However, Devon still has a few scattered around the County in various quaint villages adding their bit of nostalgic charm and character. Some have made it into museums and other public places such as country theme parks etc, while some have been bought privately and can be found in people's gardens.

For me I can remember them well as we didn't have a telephone in our house for many years while I was growing up, it saved my parents a lot of rental charges! Also, my Mum made money out of it as she was paid to clean the phone box and had the job of reporting any vandalism or if the phone was out of order, she used a neighbours phone for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment